Keeping yourself and other adults safe

Everyone has the right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect.

If you have any concerns about your own or someone else’s welfare or safety, you must report it. It is better to tell someone, rather than failing to tell anyone and you or the person you are worried about possibly being exposed to further risk of harm.

British Transport Police officer

In an emergency, always call 999.

To talk to us about your own situation or report your concerns about someone else when it’s not an emergency, call us on 0800 40 50 40 or text 61016. You can also call your local police on 101, visit your nearest police station or speak to a police officer or police community support officer in person.


Please be ready to give as many details as you can, including:

  • Your name or the name of the person you are calling about
  • Where you or the person you are calling about live
  • Why you are concerned about your own or someone else’s welfare and safety

You can also ask for help for yourself or report concerns about someone else to your local council’s adult social care department. You will be able to find contact details on your council’s website. Find your local council.

If you don’t want to speak to the police or your council, tell someone you trust. This could be a friend or your GP.

Victims Choice is a website which provides information about both national and local support organisations that can help and support to people who may have been a victim of crime or may be vulnerable.

Abuse   FGM  Forced Marriage  Hate crime 
Honour based abuse  Missing People  Modern Slavery  Online safety 
Personal safety  Rape and sexual assault  Stalking  Vigilance 
⬅️ Back to keeping you and your family safe

Contact Us

To report a crime or incident, call

0800 40 50 40

or text 61016

In an emergency call 999

More information and support

Contact us (BTP)

Hide this site