Frequently asked questions

Not sure where to report a crime, or have a question about what we do? Our frequently asked questions might help.

British Transport Police officer

How do I report a crime?

Call us on 0800 40 50 40 or text 61016 to report any crime that has already happened, to seek crime prevention advice or to make us aware of issues affecting your local station or your journey on the rail network.

In an emergency, dial 999. An emergency is when a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

If your enquiry concerns buses or roads, you can contact local police anywhere in the country by dialling 101.

When should I text you?

You can text us on 61016 to report non-emergency incidents, similar to the ones you would report to the 101 phone number provided by your local police force.

The text number will be monitored 24/7 and, while it is not for reporting emergencies, we will be able to send officers if required.

Find more information about how to use our text number.

What do I do if I see a suspect package?

If you see a vehicle, unattended package or bag which might be an immediate threat, move away and call 999 or contact the nearest member of staff.

How should I report anti-social behaviour?

Any threatening or abusive behaviour should be reported. This includes rowdy, noisy or drunken behaviour, offensive or threatening language, littering or vandalism, or forming part of a menacing group.

Please call us on 0800 40 50 40  or text 61016 to report antisocial behaviour on the railways. To report antisocial behaviour on buses or roads, please contact your local police station on 101.

If a crime is in progress or if anyone is in immediate danger, you should always dial 999.

What is a PND?

PND stands for Penalty Notice of Disorder and can be issued if an officer has to have a reason to believe that a person has committed an offence for which a PND is suitable and that they have no history of similar offences. For information on fines, how to pay them and any further information, please visit our PND page.

Which areas do you cover?

We police the tracks, stations, trains and all related rail infrastructure across England, Scotland and Wales. We also police the London Underground system, Docklands Light Railway, the Midland Metro tram system, Croydon Tramlink, Sunderland Metro and the Glasgow Subway. You can find your local station on the contact us page.

How are you funded?

The vast majority of BTP funding comes from the train operating companies and Network Rail, however we do accept funding from the Home Office for specific projects we are engaged in with them.

Do you have the same powers as local officers?

Yes. Our officers receive the same training as Home Office police forces, but we train them in extra skills relating to track safety and railway byelaws.

Who do I contact if I've lost property on a train or at a station?

We do not deal with lost property unless you know it has been stolen. If you've mislaid something on a train or at a station, you need to contact the relevant train operating company. Visit our lost property contact page