Police Victim Right to Review

We have established the Police Victim Right to Review (VRR) scheme, which makes it easier for victims to seek a review of a police decision not to prosecute.

Freedom of information

The aim is to provide an opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to providing a high quality service to victims of crime and to operating in a transparent and responsive manner.

The right for a victim to request a review occurs when the police:

  • Make a decision not to bring proceedings in cases where the police have the authority to charge OR
  • Make a decision that a case does meet the appropriate Test for referral to the CPS for a charging decision

Any victim can make this request for review.

This includes:

  • close relatives of a person whose death was directly caused by criminal conduct
  • parents or guardians where the victim is a child under 18
  • police officers who are victims of crime
  • family spokespersons of victims with a disability or are so badly injured that they cannot communicate
  • businesses who provide a named point of contact
Request for Review

You are able to make the request by calling 0207 027 6400 or by completing the request form (Word) and sending via;

Email to VRR@btp.pnn.police.uk or post to:

British Transport Police
Central Justice Unit
Central London Police Station
16-24 Whitfield Street

Please note that the scheme applies only in relation to qualifying decisions made on or after 1st April 2015.

Where the decision not to prosecute has been made by the Crown Prosecution Service, you will not be entitled to seek a review of this decision through the Police VRR. You will need to make a request to the CPS Victim Right to Review Scheme. Information on this can be found on the Crown Prosecution Service website.

All other complaints

If you have a complaint that does not fall within the VRR scheme this will be dealt with through our existing complaints procedures.

Contact Us

To report a crime or incident, call

0800 40 50 40

or text 61016

In an emergency call 999