How to report a crime on the railway

If you do become a victim of crime it is important that you ask for help and report it. You can call us on 0800 40 50 40 or text 61016. In an emergency, dial 999.

Reporting a crime

Please feel free to approach one of our police officers or any member of rail or Tube staff, if you have been a victim of or have witnessed a crime.

If it is not an emergency and you want to report a crime on the National Rail, London Underground, London Overground, Docklands Light Railway, Midland Metro tram system, Croydon Tramlink, Sunderland Metro and the Glasgow Subway, call us on 0800 40 50 40 or text 61016.

If your enquiry concerns buses or roads, you can contact local police anywhere in the country by dialling 101. In an emergency, always call 999.

When you report a crime 

We will try to deal with your crime report as quickly as possible but please remember that we must prioritise those in immediate danger.

  • If a crime is taking place or a serious crime has been committed, we will always try to attend as soon as we possibly can.
  • For other offences, which have already happened and where no-one is in danger, police may take some initial details before arranging to take further information from you at a later date.

Any officer or member of police staff should deal with you with consideration and professionalism.

If you are in any way unhappy about how you or your report of crime has been investigated you have a right to make a complaint and we would encourage you to do so if you feel dissatisfied.

Other help is available

There are a range of services who work alongside the police to support victims of crime. For example, we can put you in touch with Victim Support, a charity which provides help to victims of crime.

There are services especially set up to help victims of sexual offences. Ask the officers dealing with your case to put you in contact if you would like to talk to someone.

If you are in the UK from overseas and fall victim to crime, your embassy or consulate should be able to help you.